Tuesday, May 3, 2011

So much to do, so little time...

Today is May 3.  This means that we have only 22 days until we get on the plane and begin the next chapter of our lives.  In Switzerland.  I still don't think it is real to me.  Are we really moving to Switzerland?

We have been busily preparing ourselves, our dogs, our belongings, and our house for the big move.  I have donated/sold/thrown out countless things.  We will be moving very few of our belongings to Switzerland with us, and we will have a very small storage unit, so there were a lot of things that had to go.  It was very difficult for me to get rid of these things, but it is a relief to have fewer things to worry about.

This weekend, we will purchase the crates that the dogs will travel in.  Unfortunately, the dogs will not come with us to Switzerland.  They will fly to Washington to live with Gordon's mom and her dog, Macy.  I know that the dogs will have a wonderful life with Denise, but I also know that I will miss them terribly.  They are my first babies and I can't even imagine life without them.

As for the house, we made a major decision this weekend.  We decided to rent the house rather than to sell it.  After 17 showings, all of which were a challenge to prepare for, we realized that it is not, in fact, in our best interest to sell.  So now, we are fielding calls and emails from many interested parties and we will decide soon who the best candidate is.

As for ourselves being ready, this week is my last week of work.  I will miss my job and my coworkers enormously.  I hope to find an outlet for my physical therapist side in Switzerland.  Gordon has been learning French with Rosetta Stone and he is doing very well with his lessons.  As I listen to him learn, my French knowledge comes back rather quickly.  I hope that once I am immersed in the French language, my fluency will also return quickly.  As for Claire, how does one prepare a just-turned-one-year-old for a move to another country.  I feel very sad that she will not see her grandparents at least 3 times each week and that we will be so far away from the rest of our family and friends, but I believe that this adventure will have a profoundly positive impact on the person that Claire will be.

On our to-do list this week:  choose a company to replace our fence, schedule a time for my uncle to replace our furnace, choose tenants for our house, pack up more of the house to be put in storage, and about a hundred other things!

So much to do, so little time...

1 comment: